Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Why I mow my lawn

Because twelve miles from here,
three women were found
in a man's basement,
kidnapped for ten years.
Because, in my community, 
forty-two teachers 
are getting laid off. 
Because when I drive 
down Lee Road, 
there is a homeless woman
who picks up cigarette butts
so that she has something to smoke. 
Because three of my friends 
have mothers with severe dementia.
Because it is healthier 
than calming myself with 
a pound of peanut M & M's. 
Because there are only 
twenty-six days of school left, 
and I have fifty-three days 
worth of work to do.
Because ten soldiers died 
in Afghanistan on Monday. 
And one of them was nineteen. 
Because so much has happened 
in my life since I was nineteen, 
and no one's life should be so short. 
Because someone I used to love
has moved five blocks from me 
and I cannot control if or when
or why I will run into her.
And who she will be with. 
Because I cannot control
anything some days, except 
the parallel lines the mower 
makes in the front yard. 
And, it looks like I did something 
when there is so very little I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment