Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Dead battery

There's nothing like a twenty dollar tip to get a man's core story.

This morning I got in my car and tried to start it but, curses, the battery was dead.  I called my Ford roadside assistance, and was efficiently handled and within twelve minutes -- yes, twelve -- someone was in my driveway.

He had me fill out some paperwork, attached a battery, jumped my car and started to head off.  I said, "Hey there, here's a tip for helping me out." His eyes widened when he saw the amount, and then, for whatever reason, the story poured forth.  

"I was an Army man,  22 years.  My daddy too, and his daddy before him.  Germany and Korea.  Dusseldorf, Berlin Wall Guard...my son is thinking about joining up but I didn't know what to say, so I told him what my daddy told me. 'Son, if you want to go in the Army, it's going to have to be your choice. Ain't no father want to tell his child to go into service because, if anything happens, it'll hang on him forever. So this has got to be your decision, and I'll support you.'"

It was raining on me and my linen shirt.  I didn't give a hoot. I was getting more than my battery recharged.  He continued, "I was classified 1A in the draft in '74 and I knew that sooner or later, they was going to get me.  My daddy said, 'Son, you have two choices: you can wait for them to tell you what THEY want you to do, or you can tell them what YOU want to do. Wait if you want, moping around afraid all of the time.  Or just walk in to the recruiting office and take charge of your life.'  It was good advice; I keep using it my whole life.  I signed up and got to work transportation.  Sure, they were shooting at me, but I wasn't ever on the front lines anywhere.  You know what?" 

"What?" 

"Whatever you is afraid of, walk right in and sign up for it. It's the only way to go." 

I nodded, knowing this man was speaking truth.  I thanked him - this nameless guru of the day - and gave him a couple whacks on the shoulder.  (I thought it might be odd to hug a soaking wet 60 year old tow guy so a good whack is a close as I could come).   We parted, but he still is hanging in me right now 14 hours later.  That's the way with an unexpected blessing; it sticks. 

Whatever it is, people, walk right in and sign up for it.  Facing fear with openness.  It's the way to go. 




No comments:

Post a Comment